Monday, May 12, 2008

Men are from Mars, Women are, well...normal

I find myself constantly in awe of God's amazing ability to take two completely different creatures, bind them together in holy matrimony, and actually have it work out. Ah, the cliche that became such a hit in bookstores: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. I found myself thinking that this evening as we were digging through our attic in preparation for our move. Jeffrey pulled out two boxes full of his old school notes...yes, you heard me right, school notes. While I always managed to make good grades, I would never consider myself studious. School was for socializing, right? I began the light hearted teasing, and laughed as he returned the favor when we pulled down box after box of Christmas decorations. I tried to remind him that any home that celebrated Christmas would have decorations in their attic, however, those with boxes of school notes from high school would be few and far between. :) You see, what I finally decided it all comes down to is that we are truly from two different worlds. It was all a part of God's great design. Men speak Martian. Women speak Venetian (anyone else thinking about blinds right now?). How in the world does marriage work? I truly believe that the only way it can work is if you have God at the center of your marriage. He is the translator. He is the only one that can break down the language barriers and bring two people together. Without Him, we would be strangers in a foreign land to each other. So, when you are having those moments when you are wondering why in the world you can't understand your spouse, remember to take a moment and let God do the translating for you. After all, that is how He designed it to be.

6 comments:

Briana said...

It's Venusian, and if we actually let God translate for us, we would probably beat each other senseless half the time for the teasing and harassing we do of each other! No, seriously, God was really having a good day when he put men and women together, Him and all the angels are still laughing they're butts off at that particular idea.

Julie Walker said...

Wow! You should write devotionals! Good stuff!

Gretchen said...

Brilliant, April.

By the way, my good friend Heather sent me a package of about 10 notes I wrote to HER in middle school! It was pretty funny.

Leslie said...

Thanks for that...I really needed that!!!

Sara said...

This is great stuff, April! I have a lot of my notes from nursing school, too. And I've actually used some of them.

I know, I know we need to take that trip 3 hours south of DFW. Didn't want to bombard you at the last minute.

The house looks great and so exciting! Oh, and Happy Mother's Day to you, too. (I just caught up on your blog today - can you tell?)

JessBless said...

Great blog!!! And, you know that Aaron has my attic full of school notes (high school, college, grad. school). The main thing I kept from school were yearbooks, photo albums, and a few 'report cards' just to prove I did take the class and ace it! :)