Friday, May 9, 2008

A Mother's Tale

So, with Mother's Day approaching, I am finding myself reflecting on motherhood and how much it has changed my life. It is funny to me to think back on those days when I dreamed of being a mommy and how naive I was to what that would really mean. Sure, I knew my life would have to change and that sacrifices would have to be made. What I didn't know is that my whole life would become one big sacrifice for the betterment of my children. I know most of you have read the poem, "Before I Was a Mom". Well, here is my own version:

Before I was a mom I:

-got my eyebrows waxed and my hair cut regularly

-went to the bathroom in peace...well, if you don't count the times my students would follow me out of the classroom, but that is another story...

-eat a whole meal without having to get up to refill sippy cups, cut up meat, clean up spills, reprimand children for feeding the dog, explain for the tenth time that yes, you have had this food before and you do indeed like it

-spent my days at a job that provided me with the words of acclamation I need to survive (all those familiar with love languages know what I am talking about)

-could find most anything in the house and never had to fear that what was missing had been flushed down the toilet

-could sleep through the night

-could walk around barefoot in the dark without fear of stepping on toys

-could go to the store for one item and actually make it out in a timely manner

-could tell you the latest bands and their top hits

-could have a conversation that did not include quotes from one of the many children's characters my children enjoy

Now that I am a mom I:

-find that getting my eyebrows waxed and hair cut are a rare treat, but that life still goes on and people are still willing to be around me despite my inability to keep up with my vanity

-find that I miss going to the bathroom in peace! Sorry, I can't find a way to make that one a positive! :)

-find that despite all the interuptions, mealtime is much more enjoyable when it is spent with family

-work ten times harder than I ever have in my life, with little to no recognition and appreciation. However, at the end of the day when I get to run my hands through my children's hair and reflect on the time we spent together, I realize that no amount of money on this earth could be worth more than that.

-realize that without items being flushed down the toilet, dropped in the dog's bowl, stuck up noses and into ears, I would have nothing to blog about!

-have officially kissed good sleep goodbye, but try my hardest not to take for granted the fact that I will never get these years back. My children will not always be coming to my room in the middle of the night for comfort.

-step on toys regularly, but try my best to stop and thank God for the blessings He has given our family. There are families that want desperately to provide for their children and can't.

-can't get anywhere in a timely fashion and have long since come to accept that every task will take twice as long. Yet, on those rare occasions that I do get the chance to get out by myself, I find that I miss their company.

-can't tell you whose songs made the top ten last week, but can sing all the lyrics to the latest Backyardigans CD. While I miss my music, I am making the most of the short time I have to sing along at the top of my lungs with my children. The day will come when they will be mortified by things like that.

-find that my ability to quote all my children's favorite characters is a reminder to myself and others that it is important to show an interest in what our children are interested in. I could honestly go the rest of my life without seeing another Backyardigans cartoon, but I love to watch my children's faces light up when I bust out with a quote. They love to know that I have been paying attention when they ask me to.

To all you mothers out there, Happy Mother's Day!

7 comments:

Ginger said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Leslie said...

That was perfect....Happy Mother's Day to you as well!!!

Briana said...

Yup, totally agree. Happy Mother's Day to our favorite pre-school teacher.

twarpula said...

wow, I just love that! You have such a way with words. Thanks for the post and reminding me the joys of motherhood. Happy Mohters day!!

Andi Hawkins said...

Love ittt. So perfect.

April Cogburn said...

I just found your blog! In a roundabout way through someone else's blog. Hope you had a wonderful mother's day!

My blog is www.threecogburns.blogspot.com

JM said...

I hear you and I only have one child! Everyday I look in the mirror and think, "I really need to get my eyebrows waxed." Someday I'll get to it.

I hope your Mother's Day was a wonderful one!